[uf-discuss] CSS archive

Tom Morris tom at tommorris.org
Fri Dec 14 08:03:52 PST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007 10:43 AM, Frances Berriman <fberriman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14/12/2007, Joshua Gay <joshuagay at gmail.com> wrote:
> > First time here. Hope this is on-topic! Sorry if it is not :-)
> >
> > ##Short version
> >
> > I was thinking that it would be nice to have a page on the Wiki that
> > collects CSS templates for creating and displaying microformats.
>
> Hi.
>
> Well, just to throw an alternative view on this - I might be concerned
> that supplying CSS templates for microformats might lead people to
> believe that microformats *must* be written in a very specific
> way/order.
>
> I think you could do this, but with the clear explanation that the
> mark-up that goes with the CSS (since you'd have to make certain
> assumptions*) is simply a suggested way of marking up that piece of
> information.  Pitching it more in a way of "these are some ready to go
> snippets and styles to get you started".

I think it may make more sense to put up a list of 'interesting' examples
in the wild for each microformat - where, for instance, they are being
used in interesting, new, innovative or stylish ways.

Perhaps a 'microformats gallery' showing uses that are pushing the
boundaries of recombining microformats in interesting ways or styling
or scripting them in interesting ways.

The idea of the original poster is good, but, as you say, it needs to
be broader than simply the CSS and styling. The idea of a gallery
would be to show authors that through using microformats along with
good markup practice, CSS and JavaScript you can do interesting
or unexpected things. This is something that John Allsopp's done in
the Microformats book.

As to how we implement such a gallery, I'm not sure. Examples in the
wild pages benefit from being just a big list, where as a gallery may
not be the best thing to host on a wiki. Perhaps someone who thinks
they have good judgment and taste on these sort of things might want
to start one.

Maybe we could start with something fun like a "most beautiful hCard"
competition. Winner gets a mince pie and some linklove. :)

--
Tom Morris
http://tommorris.org/