[uf-discuss] Re: Precise Expansion Patterns

Paul Wilkins pmw57 at xtra.co.nz
Sun Dec 16 11:12:06 PST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 7:01 AM, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis
<bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com> wrote:
> NB: This email isn't intended as a general endorsement of TITLE on
> non-linking A. I'm deeply sceptical about misusing the TITLE attribute
> for human-unfriendly data, especially on anything other than an empty
> SPAN. I'm just saying I don't buy Martin's SEO-based argument against
> non-linking A in particular.

Thanks for going through this.

Because the HTML spec doesn't allow for what we're trying to achieve,
one possibility was to use non-linking anchors, but there are several
issues with that.

I still prefer the abbr include pattern though.

The PT2M23S is to indicate a duration of time, but using such a format
meets resistance in that it's not easy for people to correctly markup
in such a manner.

Another option is to use hh:mm:ss instead. This is indicating an
actual moment in time.

Is it viable to consider that if we play a track from midnight, that
we can specify that moment in time when it ends?

<abbr title="00:02:23">2:23</abbr>

--
Paul Wilkins