[uf-discuss] Re: marking up initials in names

Edward O'Connor hober0 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 10:00:18 PST 2007

Andy Mabbett wrote:

> I have a need to mark up some people's names, which are given as
> initials only, and where the full names for which those initials stand
> are not known. For example, "A. N. Other".
[...]
> In the absence of an "initials" property, how would you mark up such a
> name, in an hCard?

How about <abbr> without @title? This seems to have the semantic of "I
know this is an abbreviation for something, but I don't know that
something." E.g.

    <abbr class="given-name">A</abbr>.
    <abbr class="additional-name">N</abbr>.
  </a>

--
Edward O'Connor
hober0 at gmail.com

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.