Moderation [was RE: [uf-discuss] Andy Mabbet's moderation]

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Fri Feb 2 11:10:10 PST 2007

On Feb 2, 2007, at 10:22 AM, Joe Andrieu wrote:

> Second, why exclude anyone who "hasn't already publicly declared their
> participation?"

For the same reason I don't publish personal emails to me: I respect
others' privacy.  I believe it's their decision to make, not mine.

> There is a culture of secrecy here that is the core of
> my issue.  Why such secrecy? Why should anyone be allowed to be an
> admin
> in this community if they are only willing to do so secretly?

I don't believe anyone has said they are only willing to participate
in the -admin list secretly.  But a few haven't said anything at all,
I assume because they're busy people.  I expect they'll be happy to
add their names to the public registry when they get around to
checking their email relating to the volunteer position.  Or maybe
they'll see you've been calling them "secret police" with a
connotation [1] that they would take someone away in the middle of
the night to be murdered, and decide it was a mistake volunteering in
the first place.  Either way, give it a little time and I expect the
published list will soon reflect everyone on the list.

Peace,
Scott

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_police