[uf-discuss] Training events in hResume

Rob Crowther robertc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 03:23:09 PST 2007

On 12/02/07, Pat Ramsey <ramsey.pat at gmail.com> wrote:
> Training being a learning experience, I would think marking it up as
> education is appropriate.

But work is (or perhaps should be) a 'learning experience' too.  It's
not quite the same thing, but most application forms I've filled in
have had separate sections for Education and Training.

A quick google for some examples:

1 - http://www.chichester.gov.uk/your_council/council_jobs/copy_of_job_appln_form1.cfm
(link to Word doc on page) - Has an 'EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL
QUALIFICATIONS' section, separate boxes for schooling, professional
qualifications and 'other relevant training' but all under the same
heading.

2 - http://www.tendringdc.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/E8AE5F2D-4F09-46F7-8044-9A45A924CDCE/0/ApplicationForm130306.pdf
- seperate sections for Education and Professional Qualifications

3 - http://www.unison.org.uk/acrobat/B1491.pdf - separate sections for
Education and Training, though the distinction is that anything which
leads to a qualification is Education, and everything else is
Training.  This is perhaps a more useful practical distinction than
the slightly nebulous concepts I had in mind.

4 - http://www.scope.org.uk/downloads/jobs/jobapp_may05.doc - similar
to 3, things with an exam are Education, other things are Training.

5 - http://www.rhul.ac.uk/personnel/application.pdf - similar to 1,
all in one section but sperate boxes for School, Further/Higher
Education, Formal Qualifications and Other Training

6 - http://www.broxtowe.gov.uk/application_form_april_2006.pdf -
Education and Training all in the same box/section.

On the basis of the above examples, I would suggest that a distinction
between education and training could be useful as clearly employers
sometimes see them as distinct concepts.

Rob