[uf-discuss] Hidden elements considered harmful (Was: Inline style conflict?)

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 15:33:16 PST 2007

I too find ths area of microformats one of the weaker areas of
consensus and of having strong examples of best practices.

On the one hand, there's the matter of style, where certain data are
hidden in the interest of visual appeal (CSS Zen Garden, etc).

Other times, data that is necessary for computer interpretation is
hidden to save cluttering the human-friendly view -- lately a
discussion on the inclusion of countries at Upcoming.

Then, and these are the compelling cases to address for me, there are
cases of data fidelity both on lesser devices (like mobile phones --
i.e. without any CSS) and then the matter of fidelity when copying
data on the client-side from one app or site to another (see live
clipboard).

In any case, I think we need best practices on the implementors side
and then set expectations on the end-user/client side.  And, in most
cases, some semantics are better than none. I mean, let's face it,
MP3s serve a purpose even when FLAC is a superior format so all this
hand-wringing, while important, should still be considered in
applicable contexts. Microformats don't replace filesystems, but they
do help us represent and pass data around a bit more freely.

Chris

Chris