[uf-discuss] More than one value for tel, fax, email?

Mark Jaroski mark at geekhive.net
Sun Jan 21 09:17:08 PST 2007

Webadmin - Tenbus wrote:
> > I don't think you'll be able to get two fax numbers working. Although
> Outlook has a second place for > a fax number (Other fax), there doesn't
> appear to be a way to indicate this in the vCard file. If I > give other fax
> a value and then export the vcard, the number is lost.
>
> > If there is a way to mark this up so it will work, I would be more than
> happy to change Operator to > do so...
> >
> > Mike Kaply
>
> Oh. Reading the Sept 1996 vCard 2.1 specification
> <http://www.imc.org/pdi/vcard-21.txt> it looks like you can combine TEL
> properties i.e. "TEL;WORK;FAX" and "TEL;WORK;FAX;PREF" I wonder if this is a
> way to go.
>
> Alternatively, what I'm trying to do here is to indicate contact details for
> two different "departments" in one organization but sharing the same
> address. The vCard 2.1 spec offers an "agent" property. This looks like it's
> intended for someone's administrator, assistant. The spec says "This
> property is equivalent to nesting another vCard with the specified vCard".
> May be this is what I'm trying to do? Nesting "Box Office" contact details
> within contact details for the venue administrator details (or vice versa).

I was thinking exactly the same thing this afternoon, and was planning to
come home and write up a big thing about using the agent property.

What I'd like to know is:  How widely implemented is agent?  Can we just
nest one hCard into the agent property of another one, or does the value of
agent have to be a link to another hcard?

As for box office, I tend to think that that should be the "work" phone
number of the venue itself, since event-goers will be most likely to want
to reach the box office.

Thanks all,

-mark