[uf-discuss] More than one value for tel, fax, email?

Webadmin - Tenbus tbadmin at tenbus.co.uk
Sun Jan 21 00:03:06 PST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: mkaply at gmail.com [mailto:mkaply at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Mike Kaply
Sent: 21 January 2007 03:53
To: spike at tenbus.co.uk; Microformats Discuss
Subject: Re: [uf-discuss] More than one value for tel, fax, email?

21 January 2007 03:53 - Mike Kaply <mkaply at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think you'll be able to get two fax numbers working. Although
Outlook has a second place for > a fax number (Other fax), there doesn't
appear to be a way to indicate this in the vCard file. If I > give other fax
a value and then export the vcard, the number is lost.

> If there is a way to mark this up so it will work, I would be more than
happy to change Operator to > do so...

> Mike Kaply

Oh. Reading the Sept 1996 vCard 2.1 specification
<http://www.imc.org/pdi/vcard-21.txt> it looks like you can combine TEL
properties i.e. "TEL;WORK;FAX" and "TEL;WORK;FAX;PREF" I wonder if this is a
way to go.

Alternatively, what I'm trying to do here is to indicate contact details for
two different "departments" in one organization but sharing the same
address. The vCard 2.1 spec offers an "agent" property. This looks like it's
intended for someone's administrator, assistant. The spec says "This
property is equivalent to nesting another vCard with the specified vCard".
May be this is what I'm trying to do? Nesting "Box Office" contact details
within contact details for the venue administrator details (or vice versa).

Thanks for your interest Mike!

Regards
Chris F