[uf-discuss] Search on CSS element (was: Making Microformats Searchable)

Michael Leikam leikam at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 22 17:14:17 PST 2007

Nir,

I think I know what's been bugging me about this thread.  I
as a consumer don't care about microformats.  What I care
about is content that's up-to-date and relevant.  As a
consumer, I want to know when we're getting together next
week, not what's marked up with hCal.

The fundamental thing here is that uFs are a means to an
end.  They gain usefulness to the extent that they make
things that I already want to do easy.

My mom would never search for hcards (no matter the syntax)
any more than she would search for images in a PNG format.
It's a niche search that could be performed by a small
group of technical people and it's no surprise that
general-purpose search engines haven't made it a priority.
Nor do I think such support would add much value for most
people.

-ml

--- Nir Yariv <niryariv at gmail.com> wrote:

> The point isn't whether it's hard for search engines to
> support MFs
> (obviously it isn't), the point is whether to wait for a
> solution to
> come from SE's side or implement it now in the publisher
> side.

[snip]