[uf-discuss] code microformat

anders conbere aconbere at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 22:32:08 PST 2007

On 1/29/07, Colin Barrett <timber at lava.net> wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2007, at 1:26 PM, anders conbere wrote:
>
> > I'm having a difficult time getting dialog started on this, there have
> > been some suggestions that hReview or hProduct might be better formats
> > for this, and that with a little work the data presented in most
> > code-samples on line might be manipulated into those formats.  But
> > what are other peoples take?
> >
> > Is the problem well defined?
> > http://microformats.org/wiki/code-examples#The_Problem
>
> I'd say so.
>
> > What use cases can people think of, are there other examples out there
> > than what I've come up with (I know there are) are there better ones
> > than what I've already found (there probably is)?
> > http://microformats.org/wiki/code-examples#Real-World_Examples
>
> I have been posting some code listings on my blog recently. It would
> be really nice to have these sections identified (so then a source
> coloring tool could identify them and color them)
> <pre><code>
> code
> </code></pre>
> is the awful HTML I have been using. It would be nice to have
> something more semantic to put up, particularly with regards to
> licensing -- Some of the code snippets are public domain, some are
> GPL, and I don't really have any way of noting this currently.

This was the big motivator for me, along with knowing the programing
language and having the ability to easily scrape and save the source
code.

> Other blogs, particularly programming ones, would be excellent places
> to look for examples.
>
> > What are peoples thoughts on the base-elements given the resources
> > already collected?
> > http://microformats.org/wiki/code-brainstorming#Base_Elements
> >
> > If I'm having a difficult time building dialog does this imply a
> > general lack of interest, and does a lack of interest in this
> > community imply a lack of a real world interest in implementing
> > something like this?
>
> It might not hurt to both collect more examples and, after looking at
> that writing a strawman proposal.

I guess I'll keep digging up more examples and posting them.  I don't
suppose it could hurt.

> Judging by the number of times this same "am I heading in the right
> direction or should I abandon this" email has been posted to this
> list, it seems that giving feedback to infant ufs is something we need
> to work on. Any suggestions?

I certainly feel like I'm going at this alone.  It's hard to get my
friend interested enough to post criticisms, and it's hard to even
find someone around here to talk about what needs to happen, what
they've learned from past proposals.