[uf-discuss] code microformat

Colin Barrett timber at lava.net
Mon Jan 29 17:21:27 PST 2007

On Jan 29, 2007, at 1:26 PM, anders conbere wrote:

> I'm having a difficult time getting dialog started on this, there have
> been some suggestions that hReview or hProduct might be better formats
> for this, and that with a little work the data presented in most
> code-samples on line might be manipulated into those formats.  But
> what are other peoples take?
>
> Is the problem well defined?
> http://microformats.org/wiki/code-examples#The_Problem

I'd say so.

> What use cases can people think of, are there other examples out there
> than what I've come up with (I know there are) are there better ones
> than what I've already found (there probably is)?
> http://microformats.org/wiki/code-examples#Real-World_Examples

I have been posting some code listings on my blog recently. It would
be really nice to have these sections identified (so then a source
coloring tool could identify them and color them)
<pre><code>
code
</code></pre>
is the awful HTML I have been using. It would be nice to have
something more semantic to put up, particularly with regards to
licensing -- Some of the code snippets are public domain, some are
GPL, and I don't really have any way of noting this currently.

Other blogs, particularly programming ones, would be excellent places
to look for examples.

> What are peoples thoughts on the base-elements given the resources
> already collected?
> http://microformats.org/wiki/code-brainstorming#Base_Elements
>
> If I'm having a difficult time building dialog does this imply a
> general lack of interest, and does a lack of interest in this
> community imply a lack of a real world interest in implementing
> something like this?

It might not hurt to both collect more examples and, after looking at
that writing a strawman proposal.

Judging by the number of times this same "am I heading in the right
direction or should I abandon this" email has been posted to this
list, it seems that giving feedback to infant ufs is something we need
to work on. Any suggestions?