[uf-discuss] definitive hCard on a page

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Wed Jul 4 15:06:00 PDT 2007

In message <10AB4671-5FC1-4E4E-931A-6A3F98499F8E at randomchaos.com>, Scott
Reynen <scott at randomchaos.com> writes

>On Jul 4, 2007, at 1:04 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>
>> Imagine, though, a biography of Paul McCartney. It might mention
>>that he was in a popular music ensemble with John Lennon, Ringo   Star
>>and George Harrison, produced by George Martin, and was   married to
>>Linda McCartney and someone else, and had children   called Stella,
>>Mary and so on.
>
>Interesting question, if not what Thom needed.  I try to use <h1> to
>identify the subject of a page, so perhaps something like <h1
>class="fn">Paul McCartney</h1> could cover that scenario.

Not if the existing page has:

        <h1>Acme Rock Biographies Inc</h1>
        <h2>Paul McCartney</h2>

>  But it's  hard to know without an actual web page to look at, and I'm
>not sure  what we'd do with the subject after we'd identified it.

One application could be for a search engine - "find me pages *about*
Paul McCartney, but don't bother with those that just /mention/ him".

Then again, there's the issue of pages "about Paul McCartney and John
Lennon (and their work together)" where each has equal weight.

>  If this is  becoming a new microformat proposal, it should probably
>move to the - new list.

That wasn't my intention.

--
Andy Mabbett