[uf-discuss] Microformats gets strong showing in Firefox 3 UI

Paul Wilkins paul_wilkins at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jun 6 00:11:18 PDT 2007

Colin Barrett wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2007, at 11:46 PM, Paul Wilkins wrote:
>
>> There's no need to guess.
>> There were many issues and problems with hyperlinks when they were
>> first used, and information about this is fully available in great
>> detail.
>>
>> The following extract is by Jakob Nielsen from 1988

Curses - 1995 is wehen it was published, but it's all good.

>> Architectural Component of Hypertext Systems
>> http://www.useit.com/papers/hypertext_theory/
>

> LazyWeb, Go! :) Thanks for the link.
>

>> If there is instead a visual cue of there being microformat content
>> on the page (an icon appears, or your hovered mouse shows you
>> something), then it becomes much easier to take action on potential
>> information of interest.
>

> Isn't that what I was advocating? A hover effect for the mouse, like
> Alex proposed (full disclosure, Alex is a co-worker of mine at Mozilla).

We may have different parts of the elephant here.

My opinion is that the "hunt around and discover a mystery logo on some
content" technique should be secondary and supplemental to aanother
indicator that the microformat content is there, whether it be a visual
icon, or an audible fanfare (just kidding), or *something* that alerts
the user by saying "Hey, wake up!" to its presence.

--
Paul Wilkins