[uf-discuss] Re: Work-of-art/Tim Gambell

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Jun 8 04:46:23 PDT 2007

In message <sljnj4-h76.ln1 at ophelia.g5n.co.uk>, Toby A Inkster
<mail at tobyinkster.co.uk> writes

>Ted Drake wrote:
>
>> Could the Dublin core be converted into a microformat.
>
><h1>New Additions to the Museum Collection</h1>
><ul>
> <li class="objet">
>  <h2 class="dc:title">Comb</h2>
>  <ul>
>   <li class="dc:date:created">circa 3200 BCE; Predynastic period</li>
>   <li class="geo">Egypt (<span class="latitude" title="30">N
>    30&deg;</span>, <span class="latitude" title="31.2">E
>    31&deg;12'</span>)
>   </li>

[snip rest of markup]

Haven't you just reinvented RDFa?

>Notes:
>
>1. An object's class is intentionally "objet", from "objet d'art" to
>avoid collisions with existing use of class="object".

I think that would generate confusion.

>2. I'm not 100% sure about the best use of "geo" here. Should it be
>used to markup where the object was created (as I have done here);
>where the object currently is; or both?

Either, or both, but with an additional class of "made" and/or
"located", or some such; possibly also "found" (imagine a coin made in
Rome, found in York, and on display in London). They and the place names
should be included in hCards.

--
Andy Mabbett