[uf-discuss] uF dumped in tag soup?

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 12:30:25 PDT 2007

On 6/15/07, Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org> wrote:
> Okay, so I started a new job recently.
>
> The web site and service has a lot to do with SEO. But despite that, the
> HTML is a mess of table-based layout and tag soup. I'm hoping I can
> change that in time, but it won't happen quickly. But one of the main
> reasons that I think it's possible to change it is because I think that
> the interest in microformats, and the related boost in search indexing
> from Technorati and friends, will appeal to my boss. And from there, I
> have a stepping stone to the benefits of POSH in a more general sense.
>
> So I guess my question is, if I manage to shove some microformats
> (rel-tag, hCard and hReview come to mind) into the middle of our
> ugly-as-sin markup, are we going to get raked across the coals? :)

If you apply microformats to accurately identify the objects in your
pages, no, no one will "rake you over the coals", even if the rest of
your markup is terrible.

The goal of microformats should be "progressive semantics" (like
progressive enhancement) where every little bit helps.

The beauty of microformats is that they can be worked into even the
most god-awful markup and still offer the same benefits as if they
were applied to more semantic markup.

In any case, you should go for it and then ping us with the results.

Chris

--
Chris Messina
Citizen Provocateur &