[uf-discuss] "abbr" and accessibility - a work around.

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 22:30:07 PDT 2007

> >     <abbr class="latitude" title="52.453856"></abbr>52^27'14"N
> >     <abbr class="longitude" title="-1.748028"></abbr>01^44'53"W
> > I admire the lateral thinking, but I wonder if this is any better, from
> > the PoV of people using assistive technology? If it is, it would seem to
> > provide a simple work-around to recent concerns.
>
> At first glance I can't imagine how that could be any better for AT,
> since it still leaves the user with the raw coords being vocalised,
> possibly twice in a row. But realistically it needs a quick test by AT
> users to know for sure.
>
> I also think calling an empty element "valid HTML" stretches the truth a bit :)

Also, speaking as a human being, what is the point of lat/lon
information being displayed to me anyways? I cannot fathom where that
might be from two numbers, unless you run it through a geolocator or
show me a map.

Isn't the most sensible and accessible then to use spans and do a .geo
span{display:none;} thus hiding the information both from users with
vision and screen reader users?

Geo stretches the microformats idea of building on already used
content a lot. I cannot ever recall writing down my lat/lon on any
form.

--
Chris Heilmann
Book: http://www.beginningjavascript.com