[uf-discuss] Microformats outside of Microformats.org

David Janes davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Wed Jun 27 13:38:50 PDT 2007

Constructively speaking, we're going to see the hRelease [1] a lot
more in the future, especially given some sort of native microformat
support in Firefox (and others?).

So what to do when other groups attempt to appropriate the microformat
name? My suggestion:

(1)
Realize it's probably not because of _malice_ and also realize that
there's probably excellent expert/domain knowledge to be gained

(2)
Ask them to respect the microformats "community mark" -- i.e.
microformats are something that are developed through the
microformats.org process. That is, not to call their semantic HTML a
microformat unless it's been "branded" by this community.

(3)
Suggest that they develop a _logical_ model of their problem, not
unlike what I did for hAtom [2] or what's going on with hAudio [3].
That is, figure out _what is needed_, not _how it is going to be
exactly represented.

(4)
Once they've completed that, work with us to turn it into a _physical_
model, that is, semantic html elements "branded" and conformant
with/to microformats.org.

Regards, etc...
David

[1] http://www.eu.socialtext.net/hRelease/index.cgi