[uf-discuss] microformats for normal people, like my mum

Thom Shannon thom at ts0.com
Wed Jun 27 15:09:27 PDT 2007

I know this topic comes up a lot and we'd all like to see Microformats
change the lives of millions of ordinary internet users, that's why
we're all here!

My friend just asked me an interesting question, is Microformats the
right name for it? And I said yeah, that's what they are, small formats,
standards. But thinking about it, it doesn't really describe what it
does for a normal person. They don't know what a format means in this
context, and exporting a long list of events out of some search results
isn't necessarily even all that micro.

Just an idea, but maybe we could have a secondary name, and an end user
facing site showing what you can do with these things. Obviously it will
still be the Microformat movement, but we could develop something that
is more like a specific product fitting the requirements of a certain
market. I'm imagining it would mainly focus on hCard and hResume,
possibly also geo and hReview, things that are useful to the same sort
of people daily.

Comments?

(I don't mean to ignore all the other cool things MF can do, but I think
they are all solutions to different problems.)