[uf-discuss] microformats for normal people, like my mum

Tara Hunt tara at citizenagency.com
Wed Jun 27 17:53:42 PDT 2007

Oh and non-experts/non-developers don't talk about data (or content,
really), they talk about:

addresses
photos
blog posts (now)
videos
events
reviews
resumes
etc.

SmartData is nice for us, but all of you are still thinking like
developers ('cause, duh, you ARE developers!).

On 6/27/07, Tara Hunt <tara at citizenagency.com> wrote:
> Although I heart the idea of language for non-experts, I'm wondering
> how public facing Microformats, as a general term, is.
>
> I've thought about this before...I can see the specific microformats,
> like hCard and hCal and hReview being public facing...and, in reality,
> these are pretty descriptive. Maybe they just need some sort of iconic
> marker (like RSS has)...which I think has been attempted before.
>
> The one that could use a bit of massaging is XFN. FOAF, which is not a
> nice spec, had a more generically used acronym.
>
> As far as talking about Microformats under one banner, I don't know if
> the distinction really needs to be made. i think that may be what POSH
> was trying to say: use plain old semantic html...but even that is
> talking to developers and advanced content producers.
>
> Personally, I'd love it all to be invisible and have more tools for
> non-expert content producers to input plain text into stuff that spits
> out properly marked up pages and other tools (like browsers and plug
> ins and sites) that consume these well-marked up pages properly.
>
> It should look like magic. What's that Arthur C. Clarke quote about
> technology and magic?

tara 'miss rogue' hunt
co-founder & CMO
Citizen Agency (www.citizenagency.com)