hCard history and extensions (was Re: [uf-discuss] Date of Death in hCard)

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Jun 28 11:54:49 PDT 2007

On 6/28/07 11:27 AM, "Benjamin West" <bewest at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/28/07, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
>> In message <C2A93EEF.912A0%tantek at cs.stanford.edu>, Tantek Çelik
>> <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> writes
>>
>>> For some of these I see quite a bit of utility (e.g. "gender" is often
>>> used in social network searches - an actual application in common use),
>>> whereas others seem to be merely driven by sense of semantic publishing
>>> completeness (e.g. date of death) and not by existing applications.
>>
>> On the contrary; you have been presented with evidence *and* use cases
>> for date-of-death more than once; not least in the first post in this
>> thread.
>

> Andy, I'm not sure which evidence you are referring to.  All I noticed was a
> a sum of google search results.  We've previously discussed using search
> engine hits as evidence.  Can you reiterate which URIs were surveyed along
> with an analysis of the markup used?  It would go a long way towards providing
> evidence for this feature.  How are people currently publishing dates of
> death?  Who is doing it? Are there common authorship patterns?

And note I said: "an actual *application* in common use", e.g. people adding
contacts from the web into their address book is such an application.

As opposed to "semantic publishing completeness", that is, I grant that some
people are publishing some date of death information, but other than marking
it up, what do you do with the information?  What *applications* are there?

E.g. for "gender" the widely used application is people search.

Thanks,

Tantek