hCard history and extensions (was Re: [uf-discuss] Date of Death in hCard)

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Thu Jun 28 13:07:55 PDT 2007

In message <C2A95169.912C2%tantek at cs.stanford.edu>, Tantek Çelik
<tantek at cs.stanford.edu> writes

>>> On the contrary; you have been presented with evidence *and* use cases
>>> for date-of-death more than once; not least in the first post in this
>>> thread.

>note I said: "an actual *application* in common use", e.g. people
>adding contacts from the web into their address book is such an
>application.
>
>As opposed to "semantic publishing completeness", that is, I grant that
>some people are publishing some date of death information, but other
>than marking it up, what do you do with the information?  What
>*applications* are there?

I'm sorry, I must have missed the update when that requirement was added
to your "process".

The *use cases* are in the initial post in this thread; they can't be
implemented until there's a way of marking up date-of death.

However, note that Wikipedia already allows entry of DOB and date of
death, and calculates age at death from them.

A Google search for :

        "date of death" calculator

finds several other examples, such as:

  <http://www.progenealogists.com/birthfromdeath.htm>