hCard history and extensions (was Re: [uf-discuss] Date of Death in hCard)

Jeremy Keith jeremy at adactio.com
Sat Jun 30 07:11:15 PDT 2007

I don't believe that hCard needs to be extended to accommodate a
"date of death" field. I think that we already have a microformat to
deal with this use case; it just doesn't happen to be hCard.

The dtend field in hCalendar seems like the perfect fit for this.
Microformats are intended to be embeddable within one another: an
hCalendar within an hCard (or visa-versa, depending on how you look
at it) allows for all the desired information to be marked up:

   born on <abbr title="1809-02-12" class="dtstart bday">February 12,
1809</abbr>
   and died on <abbr title="1882-04-19" class="dtend">April 19,1882</
abbr>.

Because there is a way of marking up this information using existing
microformats, I see no reason to extend hCard.

It's a similar situation with genealogy. I don't think there's any
need for a genealogy microformat because the required information can
already be marked up using a combination of hCard, hCalendar and XFN:
people+dates+relationships.

Bye,

Jeremy

--