[uf-discuss] Scraping or parsing?

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Sun Mar 4 13:56:33 PST 2007

On Sun, 2007-03-04 at 16:06 -0500, Ryan Cannon wrote:
> Adding an @profile attribute to he <head> element is far less
> technically
> demanding than, say, creating a tag space, which we also require.
> Especially as
> the addition also has no performance or usability impact.

But one doesn't need to create a tag space to use rel-tag; it isn't even
a best practice.

> I also think that authoring microformats with the intent that they be
> usable
> to the CMS-using/WYSIWG masses is a pipe dream. Users should *not* be
> encouraged
> to publish HTML markup they cannot read. Robust microformatted content
> will always require either an understanding of how to hand-code HTML
> or a tool
> to help generate it--

Though hand-coding elemental microformats is within reach of many of the
CMS-using masses.

> is it unreasonable to think that the meeting of
> either
> condition implies the ability to add an @profile as well for 80% of
> cases?

Perhaps the ability to add a single @profile URL.

If I were a CMS developer I would not want to introspect the page,
possibly assembled by various modules, before outputting the head,
though if there were some tangible benefit to doing so I would add a
profile-used(profile-uri) callback.

--
  http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer