[uf-discuss] Re: hCard for non-contact-able locations (Was: Disambiguation Conventions?)

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Thu Mar 22 13:26:21 PST 2007

On Dec 12, 2006, at 1:28 PM, Joe Andrieu wrote:

> For example, since it was initially stabilized hCard has been
> changed to
> include "place" in its semantics, yet we have no way to let parsers
> know
> that the "new" hCards may not be people, companies, or organizations,
> but instead may also be places. vCards were for /contactable/
> entities.

I was just reading the vCalendar (not vCard) spec [1], and was
reminded of the above when I read this:

> For example, the alternate representation may specify either an
> LDAP URI pointing to an LDAP server entry or a CID URI pointing to
> a MIME body part containing a vCard [RFC 2426] for the location.

I'm not familiar with the history of the vCard and vCalendar RFCs,
but I see that Frank Dawson was an author of both, so it looks like
he actually did intend vCards to work for non-contact-able locations
(e.g. the example of "conference room").  That doesn't change
people's expectations for hCard, but I thought it was interesting
that this expansion of hCard mirrored vCard without even realizing it.

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2445.txt

Peace,
Scott