[uf-discuss] Hatom or hcalendar?

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Mar 23 04:56:36 PST 2007

In message <A784C18B-E57C-4659-9B68-BE8AFC8D2026 at adactio.com>, Jeremy
Keith <jeremy at adactio.com> writes

>So I started editing the template and I hit a snag: I don't have an
>author listed for each entry. Author is required for hAtom. Now, I
>could just put a single hCard somewhere within the hAtom feed and  that
>would solve the problem:
>
>From http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom:
>"If the Entry Author is missing, find the Nearest In Parent <address>
>element(s) with class name author and that is/are a valid hCard"
>
>But I'm not publishing an <address> already and isn't the whole idea
>of microformats that we don't change *what* we're publishing, just  add
>more meaning to what we're already publishing?

I can add a "+1" to that. When I came to add hAtom to several pages, for
example:

        <http://www.westmidlandbirdclub.com/new.htm>

I had no author on the page. It prompted me to include a footer, with an
hCard, in every age, which itself was a good thing, but that may have
been either desirable nor possible.

Furthermore, if people subscribe to the resultant feed, they don't even
get to see the author details!

--
Andy Mabbett
                 <http://www.pigsonthewing.org.uk/uFsig/>