[uf-discuss] An idea for an application

John john at proionta.gr
Sat Mar 24 19:12:07 PST 2007

Angus McIntyre wrote:
> On Sat, March 24, 2007 6:53 pm, John wrote:
>
>> I just thought of a possible application for hcard:
>>
>> A Mozilla plugin would allow you to enter a URL for a person instead of
>> full details in the addressboox. Then Thunderbird would check with that
>> webpage regularly and see if their e-mail address has changed to update
>> its addressbook.
>>

> One problem here is that many people may be unwilling to publish their
> email addresses on a web page, because of the certainty that the address
> will be picked up by spammers. This may limit the number of cases where
> this would be useful.

I can't see that as a problem to not go ahead. I receive over 300 spam a
day and am doing okay. Most people probably don't have the technology
required to deal with that level of spam, but many do - they can place
their hcards on their website in any form, and everyone will benefit
from that - both the website owners, and the people who communicate with
them.

And the fact that employing anti-spam technology allows you to place
your hcard in the open, will entice more people to employ anti-spam
measures.