[uf-discuss] User Interface for Firefox/Operator

Mike Kaply microformats at kaply.com
Tue May 1 10:58:03 PDT 2007

Thanks Roger, I really want feedback like this!

On 5/1/07, Costello, Roger L. <costello at mitre.org> wrote:
> Hey Mike,
>
> Here's my "wish list" for Operator:
>
> 1. Suppose a web page has multiple geo Microformats.  The Operator
> "Find a Google Map" currently allows only a mashup of one geo
> Microformat at a time with Google Maps.  I would like an option that
> would display all the geo Microformats simultaneously.  For example, a
> web page that shows the route of an airplane may have a geo Microformat
> for each waypoint.  I would like to be able to view on Google Maps all
> the waypoints simultaneously.

I'm pretty sure to do this, I'd have to have a website somewhere that
accepted the points and displayed the page. Google Maps right now has
no way to display multiple points at the same time from just a URL.
Suggestions welcome.

> 2. Suppose the geo Microformat is part of an hCard.  The "Find a Google
> Map" currently only shows the lat/lon values on the Google Map.  It
> would be nice if Operator would scoop up some of the other information
> in the hCard, such as name and address, and display it on the Google
> Map.

The hCard also has a "Find with google maps". So you could use the
address as well. Honestly, this is one of the things that always
confused my about geo. How often to you need a geo vs an address? I
understand if you are in the middle of the desert...

> 3. An XHTML document is an XML document.  Operator recognizes
> Microformats in XHTML XML documents, but not other XML documents.  For
> example, here is an XML document that has an embedded hCard:
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <hotel class="vcard">
>     <name class="fn org">Waldorf-Astoria</name>
>     <location class="adr">
>         <street class="street-address">301 Park Ave.</street>
>         <city class="locality">New York</city>
>         <state class="region">NY</state>
>         <zipcode class="postal-code">10022</zipcode>
>     </location>
> </hotel>
>
> I would like to see Operator able to recognize Microformats in any XML
> document, not just XHTML XML documents.

I think this one should be straightforward to fix....

Thanks!

Mike