[uf-discuss] Proposal: hArgument Microformat

John Breslin john.breslin at deri.org
Mon May 21 01:28:30 PDT 2007

An interesting quote from Tim Berners-Lee relevant to typed replies in
discussions.

"People are already experimenting with new social machines for online
peer review, while other tools such as chat rooms developed quite
independently and before the Web. […] By experimenting with these
structures, we may find a way to organise new social models that not
only scale well, but can be combined to form larger structures. […] I’d
always been frustrated that the essential role of a message in an
argument was often lost information. […] We created a sub-directory
called Discussion [… that] allowed people to post questions on a given
subject, read and respond. A person couldn’t just ‘reply’. He had to say
whether he was agreeing, disagreeing or asking for clarification of a
point. The idea was that the state of the discussion would be visible to
everyone involved."

These links may be of interest...

Eran's reply to my post about mf, SIOC and argumentative discussions:
http://hellonline.com/blog/?p=91

An existing mf he referenced:
http://microformats.org/wiki/vote-links

See also IBIS... The "assumption" you mentioned is more of a "question"
in IBIS that is supported or refuted, etc.

Issue-Based Information Systems:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicked_problem#IBIS_and_successors

Some terms in an IBIS vocabulary from Danny Ayers:
http://www.schemaweb.info/schema/SchemaInfo.aspx?id=4

I think a hIBIS could be a good idea... We also want to include some
argumentative discussion features in SIOC.

John.