[uf-discuss] RFC: sHTML Video Thumbnailing

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Mon May 28 13:23:01 PDT 2007

Hello Benjamin,

On 5/28/07, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:

> >> [snip]

> [snip]
>
> >> Hmm. I think Maciej does have a strong point about interoperability
> >> here. Removing the quotation punctuation with CSS does not help those
> >> with user-designated styles or UAs that ignore such CSS: e.g. text
> >> browsers and screen readers. The question to ask yourself is: if you
> >> could not remove the quotation punctuation and layout, would you still
> >> use <q> and <blockquote>? If a screen reader read (for example):
> >
> > A text browser can NOT see the graphical thumbnail anyways.  It will
> > see the "alt" text of the thumbnail.  And putting the "alt" text in
> > quotes seems OK with me.
> >
> > (It's only the putting the graphical thumbnail in quotes that seems wrong.)
>
> Ah. Okay, I hadn't understood that's what you were saying. I think
> putting the thumbnail alternative text in quotation punctuation is
> potentially problematic unless the alternative text is actually a
> quotation from the video's dialogue.

What if there is no video dialogue?

What if it is a motorcycle race?

What should I put in there then?... an onomatopoeia of the motorcycles?

Something like...

    alt="errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..., errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..., rrrmmmmmm..."

:-)

Doesn't really seem useful.

The "Thumbnail of..." suggestion seems better in that case.

See ya

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.

    charles @ reptile.ca