[uf-discuss] RFC: sHTML Video Thumbnailing

James O'Donnell jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk
Mon May 28 14:55:05 PDT 2007

On 28 May 2007, at 22:09, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:

>> But yeah... having "quote" read out does still seem undesired.
>>
>> Aren't the aural style sheet or something that can be used to get
>> rid of that?
>

> Shouldn't putting "quotes: none none" on the <q> element be enough to
> get the screen readers to NOT say "quote" at the beginning and the
> end?
>
> As in...
>
>    <q style="quotes: none none;">...<q>

I think that noone has actually implemented aural CSS in any of the
major screenreaders. Mind you, screenreaders don't generally read out
"quote" for the <q> tag either. Have a look at this:
http://dotjay.co.uk/tests/screen-readers/q-element/

For what it's worth, it seems reasonable to me that a still image, or
short clip, could be marked up as a quote from a larger film. But the
original HTML spec only considers quoting excerpts from written
text, not excerpts from audio or video as well. I don't know if
there's any practical value in using <q> like this, since <q> isn't
consistently implemented across web browsers.

Jim

Jim O'Donnell
jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk
http://eatyourgreens.org.uk