[uf-discuss] RFC: sHTML Video Thumbnailing

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Mon May 28 15:03:38 PDT 2007

Hello James,

On 5/28/07, James O'Donnell <jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk> wrote:

> On 28 May 2007, at 22:09, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
>

> >> But yeah... having "quote" read out does still seem undesired.
> >>
> >> Aren't the aural style sheet or something that can be used to get
> >> rid of that?
> >

> > Shouldn't putting "quotes: none none" on the <q> element be enough to
> > get the screen readers to NOT say "quote" at the beginning and the
> > end?
> >
> > As in...
> >
> >    <q style="quotes: none none;">...<q>
>
> I think that noone has actually implemented aural CSS in any of the
> major screenreaders. Mind you, screenreaders don't generally read out
> "quote" for the <q> tag either. Have a look at this:
> http://dotjay.co.uk/tests/screen-readers/q-element/
>
> For what it's worth, it seems reasonable to me that a still image, or
> short clip, could be marked up as a quote from a larger film. But the
> original HTML spec only considers quoting excerpts from written
> text, not excerpts from audio or video as well. I don't know if
> there's any practical value in using <q> like this, since <q> isn't
> consistently implemented across web browsers.

It's the "cite" attribute that gives it value.

It lets me bind a set of thumbnails together (as being from the same
"video") while allowing the thumbnails to be all over the place (and
not necessarily in some container element, like a <span> or something,
which binds them together).

(Did that make sense?  Did I explain that well?  Or would an example help?)

See ya

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.

    charles @ reptile.ca