[uf-discuss] OBJECT Pattern Page Updated

paul_wilkins at xtra.co.nz paul_wilkins at xtra.co.nz
Tue Nov 6 12:22:06 PST 2007

From: Ben Ward <lists at ben-ward.co.uk>
> This is a big edit, but the page was not in a good state and this
> needed doing. I ask that people take a little time to read the new
> version, compare it to the old and raise any remaining issues.

The hyperlink example shows that

is replaced by

The text that follows states that the hyperlink "can require repeating a small piece of information (such as a person's name in an hCard)"
If the names in the examples were consistent, they would help to reinforce the stated requirement.
The names (ben ward and james levine) should be consistant with each other.

It may also be a good idea to use more meaningful id names in both the hyperlink and obect examples, so that those who implement this pattern are encouraged to use good id naming schemes too. We don't want to encourage bad behaviour.

Further down there is "OBJECT elements referencing fragments of the same document erroneously cause the browser to make additional HTTP requests. For scenarios where HTTP requests are a sensitive performance measure, this makes the hyperlink pattern inappropriate."

If the object element cause additional HTTP requests, shouldn't this make the object pattern inappropriate, and not the hyperlink one?

--
Paul Wilkins