[uf-discuss] OBJECT Pattern Page Updated

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Tue Nov 6 13:20:13 PST 2007

On 11/6/07 8:34 AM, "Ben Ward" <lists at ben-ward.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Following on somewhat from the messages last month regarding the
> OBJECT pattern I've updated the Wiki page (http://microformats.org/
> wiki/include-pattern) quite substantially.

Ben, this is a *tremendous* update, thanks very much and well done.

I have fully reviewed it and the previous version and I only found one
section in particular that I believe needed some additional non-trivial
edits.

> € The hyperlink pattern now acknowledges the assistive technology
> implications and actively encourages inclusion of inner text in
> hyperlinks.

I've added RFC2119 language (should) to that section, and noted that a
citation is required for the assistive technology implication assertion.

Far too often (in this forum and other forums) I have seen accessibility
requirements / practices spoken authoritatively as dogma, without any
citations to clear text explaining why, and due to what *specific* assistive
technologies (perhaps specific versions as well) are affected, and as a
result, the conversation around accessibility often descends into religious
debate.

When that happens, there is no room left for intelligent scientific
discourse, and the level of discussion drops down to "You have to do XYZ
because I said so because I'm an accessibility expert and you're not."

This is not helpful for progress and understanding, neither among web
authors, nor frankly for accessibility itself.

We need to call out such "accessibility dogmatism" whenever it occurs, and
ask for scientific backing.  Because only with scientific backing can we
actually explore nuances with new situations, new user agents etc. and
re-evaluate the accessibility "rules of thumb" that are often asserted as
absolute, and evolve them accordingly.

I recommend that *everyone* concerned with accessibility even a little
(which hopefully means everyone) read this presentation by Joe Clarke which
debunks a lot of common accessibility dogma:

"When accessibility is not your problem"

http://joeclark.org/appearances/atmedia2007/

I've noted a quote from part of that presentation regarding link text in the
include-pattern page.

http://microformats.org/wiki/include-pattern#Accessibility_concerns

Thanks,

Tantek