[uf-discuss] Complete n00b: adr microformat

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Tue Nov 6 21:30:00 PST 2007

On 11/6/07 7:20 PM, "Katrina" <Kaz at t-tec.com.au> wrote:

> Gday,
>
> I would like to ask a few questions about the adr microformat and I
> really hope I am in the correct place. I am so sorry if I am not.
>
> I am trying to learn about microformats, and so far so good.
>

> Q1. I have an address I would like to mark up as an adr. Now the problem
> that I think I am having with this address is that it has a country, a
> state, a city, a suburb, a postcode, and a street address.
>
> As far as I know, adr only has region and locality.
>
> Possible markup example:
>
> If locality equates to suburb,

It doesn't.  locality equates to city.  this has been true in common vCard
implementations for many years.

> Q2. As far as I am aware, good typography insists that colons are flush
> against the word they succeed, and are also styled in the same manner.
> Is it OK to have colons in the <spans>?

There is no need to put the colons in the spans in order to have them flush
against the word they succeed.  inline markup must not add extra space or
interrupt the typography (e.g. cause a line/word break) unless styled to do
so.

> For example:
> class="value">+60 3 7880 7978</span></div>

Instead:

class="value">+60 3 7880 7978</span></div>

Thanks,

Tantek