[uf-discuss] Re: calendar (and other) items aren't always tidy

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Thu Nov 29 01:54:41 PST 2007

ken wrote:

> I'd easily believe that a lot of people are a member of-- have a role
> in-- more than one organization

Indeed, but you've got to consider the primary purpose of vCard (and thus
hCard) is not to provide an accurate and total representation of a person,
but just to provide contact information.

If I'm on the ACME website and want to contact their head of sales, I want
a vCard that lists Bob Jones, Head of Sales, ACME Corp, 1 ACME Drive,
Somewhereville. The vCard doesn't also need to contain his home address,
it doesn't need to represent that he also has a position on the board of
trustees for a local wildlife charity, or the title of his role on his
kids' school's parent-teacher association either.

If such information needs to be represented, may I suggest proposing
"hContact", which could potentially encompass several hCards for the same
person, though this probably encroaches upon the territory of FOAF.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 4 days, 16:37.]

                      Sharing Music with Apple iTunes
          http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/11/28/itunes-sharing/