[uf-discuss] Re: calendar (and other) items aren't always tidy

ken gebser at speakeasy.net
Fri Nov 30 15:42:51 PST 2007

On 11/29/2007 04:54 AM Toby A Inkster wrote:
> ken wrote:
>
>> I'd easily believe that a lot of people are a member of-- have a
>> role in-- more than one organization
>
> Indeed, but you've got to consider the primary purpose of vCard (and
> thus hCard) is not to provide an accurate and total representation of
> a person, but just to provide contact information.
>
> If I'm on the ACME website and want to contact their head of sales, I
> want a vCard that lists Bob Jones, Head of Sales, ACME Corp, 1 ACME
> Drive, Somewhereville. The vCard doesn't also need to contain his
> home address, it doesn't need to represent that he also has a
> position on the board of trustees for a local wildlife charity, or
> the title of his role on his kids' school's parent-teacher
> association either.

This assumes that marking up for a vCard is all a person would want to
do with the data a document provides.

> If such information needs to be represented, may I suggest proposing
>  "hContact", which could potentially encompass several hCards for the
> same person, though this probably encroaches upon the territory of
> FOAF.

Would this connect an hcontact listed on one website with the same on
another website?  One point I was trying to make with my previous
example is the importance of the relations between data items.  If
there's a "container" of any kind, it's the web as a whole.

--
Thou shalt not molest a stranger, nor afflict him: for
yourselves also were strangers in the land of Egypt.