[uf-discuss] General Definition List Pattern

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 05:22:01 PDT 2007

Idea that's been brewing in my mind for a little while of using the
semantics of a definition list better in microformats.

Take the following example from an hCard:

<dl class="tel">
   <dt class="type">Home</dt>
   <dd class="value">01223 123 456</dd>
   <dt class="type">Fax</dt>
   <dd class="value">01223 123 457</dd>
   <dt class="type">Cell</dt>
   <dd class="value">07734 703 618</dd>
</dl>

You would still declare explicit class names on the DT and DD
elements — no implicit classes should be applied based on it being a
DT/DD — but the rule works as follows:

In a DL with class "foo" , each set of DT+DD is treated as a separate
parent "foo". So in the above example, the DL has class "tel", but it
is parsed as if you have three standalone "tel" elements for each
actual telephone number.

We have something along these lines in our mark-up at the moment, so
I'd obviously quite like to see if it's feasible for parsers to
handle this.

Thoughts?