[uf-discuss] [admin] Notice of community ban

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Oct 18 21:15:49 PDT 2007

On 10/18/07 8:03 PM, "Steve Robillard" <s.robillard at snet.net> wrote:

> I don't believe anyone else has been banned, but rather that Andy has been
> banned multiple times, and it appears to have had little effect.

It did actually help for a while last time, as Andy's emails and behavior
were certainly civil for a while (he was last banned for a week back in
July).  Unfortunately though, for whatever reason, his behavior lapsed,
which then dragged (drug?) the tone down in the lists, to the point where
many people were made to feel unmotivated to participate.

> As for the
> transparency of the process do the admins vote before taking this action or
> is it a single admin's decision (let me be clear I am not saying that the
> action was taken without just cause or unwarranted).

The admins could do a better job of documenting some of this, and to be
clear, every time there has been a banning, it has been by consensus
decision (no objections) from the admins, of which there are quite a few at
this point.  There have been a few times that the admins have considered /
discussed banning someone but whenever there has even been one objection
from any admin, no banning has taken place.  Thus it is a very serious
decision, and certainly not taken lightly.

> As for unusual, I guess
> that is part of what prompted my post, it is no longer unusual, but rather a
> matter of how long before it repeats.

It's a good question.  A lot of us try to be optimists about human nature
and thus keep hoping for the best.  This despite the fact that in this case,
this individual has for example been banned from at least one other
wiki-centric community, e.g. Wikipedia, for a year (for a second time).

I will personally commit to (as I think the other admins will, though I am
not speaking for them) improving the documentation of who the admins are,
and the minimal processes that the admins follow, because, one of our
objectives is to keep the process/admin/overhead down to a minimum both for
the admins and the community as a whole.

Thanks,

Tantek