[uf-discuss] Standardized Representation of Microformats in JSON / was: (no subject) & hCardMapper v0.96

Gordon Oheim gordon at onlinehome.de
Thu Apr 3 04:20:50 PST 2008

Dmitry Baranovskiy schrieb:
> Hi,
> Very interesting conversation. I hope we will come to some JSON
> standard at the end of it and promise in forward to implement it in
> Optimus.
That is great news.

> It is a fact that JavaScript use camel-case conversion for style
> properties. Another fact is that it is very BAD and STUPID thing in
> JavaScript. In addition it is very inconvenient. So,  I am really
> against this. Listen to Douglas Crockford at
> http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/ if my opinion is not good
> enough for you. We have a standard for names, so, please, don’t invent
> the new one.
>
> n = {"given-name": "John", "family-name": "Doe"}

I have considered this back and forth now.
 From a programmer's perspective, I'd prefer being able to access all
properties through their identifier. This is much more convenient to
type and produces easier to read sourcecode.
But if we solely view jCards as a format for data-interchange, then for
the sake of consistency with the standard names you are right.
JavaScript allows us to use the standardized names, so let's use them.

So +1 for "All Objects in a jCard are used as Associative Arrays and
must use strings for property names instead of identifiers."