[uf-discuss] Re: Parsing XFN in PHP

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Thu Apr 10 05:45:05 PDT 2008

Michael MD wrote:

> There are still lots of people stuck with php4 on shared servers ...

I suspect that won't be the case much longer after security updates for
PHP4 are discontinued in August.

> What did they expect? ... changing a language in ways that breaks
> existing code is hardly the way to encourage people to upgrade to a new
> version!

There are virtually no changes in PHP5 that break existing PHP4 code.

Some things like register_globals and auto-escaping of incoming variables
are turned off by default in PHP5 (they were on by default in PHP 4.0
IIRC) but can be switched on in php.ini or a .htaccess file in a matter of
seconds.

PHP6 will be a more painful switch for those with legacy code. (But still
fairly painless for those updating from PHP5-style code.)

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 14 days, 23:58.]

                   Tagliatelle with Fennel and Asparagus
   http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/04/06/tagliatelle-fennel-asparagus/