[uf-discuss] Re: XFN Relationship types

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Thu Apr 10 10:48:49 PDT 2008

Julian Bond wrote:

> Is there some standard here we should be encouraging like rel="Contact
> Acquaintance" or do we expect developers to know that an Acquaintance is
> also a Contact? And if it's the second is there some mapping table on a
> wiki somewhere?

The background <http://gmpg.org/xfn/background> document makes it pretty
clear (as does the profile document) that contact, acquaintance and friend
are mutually exclusive.

They can be considered a scale. Choosing a value higher up the scale (e.g.
friend) both forbids the explicit use of one lower down the scale (e.g.
contact), but also implies its meaning. So it's not valid to write, say:

but when faced with:

it is acceptable for a parser to conclude that Bob is one of your contacts.

The "co-resident" and "neighbor" values could also be construed in such a
manner.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 15 days, 4:59.]

                   Tagliatelle with Fennel and Asparagus
   http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/04/06/tagliatelle-fennel-asparagus/