[uf-discuss] hcard: additional additional names

Jim O'Donnell jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk
Thu Aug 14 15:21:21 PDT 2008

Hi MIchael,

> Unfortunately the data I'm working with would have O'Connor as one
> field and
> the sort letter would be 0. So you'd appear on ../o I fear
>
> But even if you were indexed as D  and appeared under ../d you'd
> appear
> there as:
>
> O'Donnell, Jim

That's fine - that's exactly how it should be written. The surname is
written O'Donnell (not Donnell) but is indexed/sorted under D.

> And not:
>
> Donnell, Jim O'
>
> Whereas beethoven has van as a separate field and an index letter
> of B. So
> he appear under ../b as:
>
> Beethoven, Ludwig van
>

> Talking to colleagues with more library background than me the
> attachment/detachment does appear to be subject to enormous cultural
> variation particularly with van and vons

I had a quick look through some of our Dutch items at work. The way
names are displayed varies between catalogues.

Sometimes the surname is listed without the 'Van':
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/search/listResults.cfm?Maker=Keulen%
2C%20Johannes%20van&SortBy=maker

Sometimes with
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/prints/listPrints.cfm?
filter=makers&node=8767

and sometimes the name is simply written out as it would be spoken:
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/explore/people.cfm/id/22357

I don't know if that helps, or just makes the whole situation more
confusing.

I imagine Spanish names, with the matrimonial surname, must be fun to
deal with too :)

Jim

Jim O'Donnell
jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk