[uf-discuss] hcard: additional additional names

Michael Smethurst Michael.Smethurst at bbc.co.uk
Thu Aug 14 04:43:48 PDT 2008

Hi Jim

Unfortunately the data I'm working with would have O'Connor as one field and
the sort letter would be 0. So you'd appear on ../o I fear

But even if you were indexed as D  and appeared under ../d you'd appear
there as:

O'Donnell, Jim

And not:

Donnell, Jim O'

Whereas beethoven has van as a separate field and an index letter of B. So
he appear under ../b as:

Beethoven, Ludwig van

Talking to colleagues with more library background than me the
attachment/detachment does appear to be subject to enormous cultural
variation particularly with van and vons

In the meantime are people happy with class="family-name-prefix" as a way of
marking up ludwig's van?

I'll go now before I add any more confusion