[uf-discuss] hcard: born and died and flourished

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Mon Aug 25 07:57:35 PDT 2008

Hello Jim

Jim O'Donnell wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On 21 Aug 2008, at 13:28, Michael Smethurst wrote:
>
>> Where either date is circa I've included ca. in the span with bday,
>> dday,
>> flourished-start or flourished-end:

> You could represent fuzzy dates as two timestamps seperated by a
> slash, as per
> http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/metadata/pns/pndsdcap/#DctermsTemporalPndstermsISO8601Per
>

> eg. ca. 1575 could be written as 1570-01-01/1580-12-31 or you might be
> able to just get away wth 1570/1580.
>
> I'm not quite sure how you'd represent that in HTML, but it is a
> standard for representing periods of time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601#Time_intervals

says that as well as using slash "/" and solidus (like a slash but
steeper don't think its on a standard key on a keyboard) you can also
use double dashes "--" so possible mark-up could be:

<abbr class="bday" title="1575-01-01">1575</abbr>--<abbr class="dday"
title="1614-12-31">1614</abbr>

No there is no @class=interval just a bit of  "posh"

Best Wishes

Martin McEvoy