[uf-discuss] hcard: born and died and flourished

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 06:49:34 PDT 2008

> And I've decided to use class="dday" for date of death and
> class='flourished-start' and class='flourished-end' for flourished
> dates
>
> Where either date is circa I've included ca. in the span with bday,
> dday,
> flourished-start or flourished-end:

> Does this look /feel right or am I missing something obvious? Is there
> established POSH for death date and flourished dates?

I've previously recommended using 'dday' for date of death. DDAY is
the name of the property in the draft vCard 4.0 spec, so it seems
likely that any future extension of hCard that does include a date of
death will name the property 'dday'.

'dday' is already supported in Cognition <http://buzzword.org.uk/
cognition/>.

I imagine that your use of 'ca.' in dates will cause problems for
some parsers, which expect to find an ISO 8601 date these - it
certainly breaks in Cognition. You may be able to improve parser
behaviour by using value excerpting:

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>