Draft to Specification (was: [uf-discuss] More than three years)

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Wed Aug 27 18:03:59 PDT 2008

On 27 Aug 2008, at 17:38, Zachary Carter wrote:

> What does it take to bump a draft, say hResume, to spec status? Just
> resolving the remaining open issues, or is there more to it?

It's definitely something that people are unclear on. On my part I've
been thinking a lot regarding ‘the role of editors’, spec status and
so forth. My moving to San Francisco this month has pretty much
neutralised my ability to contribute whilst I find an apartment and
get settled in the US. The sunshine is awesome, though.

I will get it written up fully, but in short, my view is that spec
editors need to be ‘actively’ working on their spec (for some value of
active, with some *simple* conditions for passing editorial control of
specs away from inactive/unsuitable editors when demand arises).

In my view, a specification goes from draft to ‘release’ when all
issues are resolved in some way, and issue resolution should be a
simple enumeration, probably one of ‘fixed’, ‘invalid’ or ‘deferred
for future iteration’. Some clause needs to sit in place to ensure
that specs are suitably vetted — we don't want someone creating a spec
quickly, fixing a small number of raised issues and declaring
something a spec just because they reach the ‘issues’ finishing line.
It absolutely needs not to be a ‘finishing line’ at all.

Maybe each spec should have a required minimum draft iterations before
it can go 1.0, allowing people to participate at different levels.
Those passionate about subject matter will take interest at the 0.1
stage, those who are simply active within microformats in general
would review specs at the second or third draft to protect against
process violations and fast-tracking. I wouldn't want anything too
strict, but all specs iterate draft versions anyway, so it might be
wise to map them to cue issue review.

It's also worth saying that I'd want to avoid ‘spec status’ being
misinterpreted as something being ‘finished’. Specs should always be
open to evolutionary iteration.

Ben