[uf-discuss] hCard UID was: hatom tumblr theme

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Wed Dec 17 13:01:49 PST 2008

On [Dec 17], at [ Dec 17] 12:52 , Martin McEvoy wrote:

>> Here's a URL that is unique to me:
>>
>> http://microformats.org/wiki/User:ScottReynen
>>
>> Those URLs are not OpenIDs, but are usable as UIDs.  It's not
>> really difficult to find such URLs; almost every site you use with
>> an account creates a URL that identifies you and only you.
>
> Hello Scott.. OK that's community blogs and wiki's dealt with.......

I can use that same URL as my UID on any site, not just blogs and
wikis.  Whenever I find myself stating something that seems obvious
like that, I start to suspect there's some larger misunderstanding
underlying the discussion, but I have no idea what that might be.
Real world examples are a good way to reveal hidden assumptions...

>>> many people share urls with other people
>>
>> Sure, and such URLs should not be used as UIDs.  The use of URLs as
>> UIDs does not suggest that *every* URL makes a good UID, just that
>> there are enough to be usable.
>
> Agreed, some people still may not have any choice.

Maybe; maybe not.  Let's not solve hypothetical problems.  If you've
actually seen this problem in practice, please point to it so we can
all talk about the same thing.

Peace,
Scott