[uf-discuss] hCard UID was: hatom tumblr theme

Jason Karns jason.karns at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 13:26:31 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Scott Reynen <scott at randomchaos.com> wrote:
> I can use that same URL as my UID on any site, not just blogs and wikis.
>  Whenever I find myself stating something that seems obvious like that, I
> start to suspect there's some larger misunderstanding underlying the
> discussion, but I have no idea what that might be.  Real world examples are
> a good way to reveal hidden assumptions...

I'd just like to clear up at least one assumption, if only for myself.
 I don't believe anyone is advocating that UIDs may *only* be URLs.
So if for some reason a URL is not available or cannot be guaranteed
to be unique (to the subject of the hCard), then other forms of IDs
are acceptable.  The only argument that I see here is whether URLs are
*ever* acceptable as UIDs, correct?

~Jason