[uf-discuss] hCard UID was: hatom tumblr theme

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Thu Dec 18 18:43:06 PST 2008

Hello Brian,

Brian Suda wrote:
> On 12/18/08, Martin McEvoy <martin at weborganics.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> I'd just like to clear up at least one assumption, if only for myself.
>>>  I don't believe anyone is advocating that UIDs may *only* be URLs.
>>>
>>  Agreed, I dont believe that either quite the opposite truthfully, Its the
>> way UID is being used in microformats that is troubling me A huge amount of
>> published hcards that I have seen are almost exclusively using  url+uid
>> which leads me to the assumption.
>>

> --- Do you have a reference for "Huge amount", what source and what is
> leading you to that assumption?

Well "Huge" is probably the wrong wording, "almost all"  is better
(sorry for the over dramatization)

The truth is not many people use "uid" at all but I would say the
concept is catching on and now I think that the definition of what a uid
is needs to be talked about and clarified more.

I am just talking this through with you, as I have said in previous
emails, I don't have a real problem with UID I just want to define the
value more. I think my problems are more aesthetics, or semantics, UID
in vCard is a globally unique identifier of the individual which means
that the value is unique in any context, I would also say that the value
is a URI,  For a URL to also be a URI it should display three basic
concepts URI, Resource, Representation eg: (in simple terms)

URI => http://somewebsite.com/
Resource => Joe Blogs
Representation => A webpage

...the above is pretty much how it goes in microformats usage along with
presentation which is the contained microformats.

I disagree slightly with that my thinking goes a little like this...

URI => http://somewebsite.com/
Resource => hcard
Representation => Joe Blogs

....the Resource that is being identified should be the hCard because it
contains the Representation of Joe Blogs, this is the question that is
causing me problems.

Thanks for your feedback Brian

--
Martin McEvoy

http://weborganics.co.uk/

"You may find it hard to swallow the notion that anything as large and apparently inanimate as the Earth is alive."
Dr. James Lovelock, The Ages of Gaia