[uf-discuss] rel -vs- rev

Ryan King ryan at theryanking.com
Mon Feb 25 12:43:02 PST 2008

On Feb 25, 2008, at 9:35 AM, Toby A Inkster wrote:
> The following is part of the rel FAQ <http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-faq
> >

> | However, given that the 'rev' attribute has been more often
> misused by
> | authors than properly used (Google Code: Web Authoring Statistics:
> Link
> | Relationships <http://code.google.com/webstats/2005-12/
> linkrels.html>)
> | is it even a good idea to use rev at all?
> |
> | The short answer is unfortunately "no". Use of "rev" SHOULD be
> avoided.
> |
> | However, VoteLinks' use of rev has been grandfathered since it was
> such
> | an early use. No future microformats should be developed that use
> 'rev',
> | and any use of 'rev' (apart from the "grand-fathered" case of
> VoteLinks)
> | is deprecated in microformats.
>
> This seems to me to have been an entirely arbitrary decision. Apart
> from
> the cited Google study, was there any other justification given for
> this?

I don't think 'arbitrary' is a good characterization of the decision.

Besides the Google study, there are no other formal studies that I
know of, but plenty of anecdotal experience that demonstrates that rel-
vs-rev is confusing for authors.

In addition to this evidence, the current draft of HTML5 does not
include rev (by design), so in the interest of building microformats
on top of existing standards (HTML4) in a future-compatible way
(HTML5) we should avoid using @rev.

Additionally, experience with VoteLinks indicated that authors didn't
understand or even know about @rev.

Usage of @alt is irrelevant here. @alt isn't used for structured data,
@rev is.

> rev, though not used particularly frequently is a very useful
> attribute.
> As an example, there is currently a debate on the xfn-brainstorming
> wiki
> page about what value of rel to use to link to "someone of whom you
> are a
> fan". Suggestions include:
>
> 	* rel="source"
> 	* rel="leader"
> 	* rel="influencer"
> 	* rel="idol"
> 	* rel="subscription"
>
> Surely, a simple rev="fan" is far more elegant solution?

Unfortunately the World Wide Web is a messy place, and elegance isn't
always an option.

> I think that rev offers great utility to microformats, and shouldn't
> be
> dismissed out of hand -- and certainly not based on the current
> evidence
> on the wiki! Ask not what you can do for your rev, as what your rev
> can do
> for you!

Your characterization of the decision as "out of hand" doesn't account
for the several years of discussion that went into it.

-ryan